Home Remedies For Ganglion Cysts – Bible Bumps !
Ganglion cysts, also known as Bible cysts or Bible bumps, are small, round sacs or lumps filled with a viscous synovial fluid. The size of the lumps can range from pea-size to nearly an inch in diameter. They usually form over a joint or tendon in the fingers, wrists, ankles or soles of the feet.
The most common symptoms of a ganglion cyst are pain and discomfort along with tingling sensations, numbness or muscle weakness. Depending on the size, these cysts may feel firm or spongy.
The exact cause of developing ganglion cysts is not known, but any joint or tendon irritation or mechanical changes may trigger this problem.
These cysts are most common in people between the ages of 15 and 40, particularly women and gymnasts who repeatedly apply stress to the wrist.
In rare cases, they can occur in children younger than 10 years old. People suffering from osteoarthritis or those having a joint or tendon injury are also more likely to develop this problem.
Often, ganglion cysts heal with simple medications and home treatments, but in some cases surgical removal is considered the best option.
Here are the top- 6- home remedies for ganglion cysts:
1. Warm Compresses :
You can reduce the discomforts associated with a ganglion cyst with regular use of warm compresses. It will increase blood circulation to the affected area and promote fluid drainage. It will also reduce pain and swelling.
However, warm compresses will not prevent the growth of a cyst:
– Soak a washcloth in warm water and wring out the excess water.
– Put this warm cloth directly on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
– Repeat 3 or 4 times daily until the cyst is gone.
2. Black Tea Bags:
The acidic property of black tea helps heal a ganglion cyst and prevents it from getting worse. The tea’s anti-inflammatory nature also provides relief from pain and swelling.
– Dip a black tea bag in warm water for 5 minutes.
– Remove it and squeeze out the excess water.
– Hold the moist, warm tea bag over the affected area for 10 minutes.
– Repeat a few times daily for several days.
3. Frankincense Oil:
Frankincense oil is an effective astringent that can help reduce the size of a ganglion cyst and prevent it from recurring. It can also ease the pain.
– Apply 2 drops of frankincense oil on your cyst.
– Cover it with a soft, clean bandage.
– Do this once daily, using a clean bandage each time, until the size has reduced.
– Continue applying the oil for a couple of weeks to reduce the risk of recurrence.
If your ganglion cyst is causing unbearable pain, you can use ginger to reduce it. The anti-inflammatory property of ginger helps ease the pain and discomfort. A 2011 study published in The Journal of Fitoterapia suggests that ginger is an anti-inflammatory agent that blocks Cox-2 activity, which likely causes pain.
– Drink homemade ginger tea 2 or 3 times daily or include more ginger in your cooking.
– To make ginger tea, cut an inch of fresh ginger root into slices and simmer it in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
– Alternatively, you can take ginger supplements. Always consult a doctor before taking a supplement.
You can also use turmeric to relieve pain due to a ganglion cyst. This herb has positive effects on inflammation and pain. A 2009 study published in The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology suggests that curcumin in turmeric exhibits anti-inflammatory activity by regulating cytokines, redox status, protein kinases, adhesion molecules, enzymes and many transcription factors associated with inflammation.
– Apply some fresh turmeric juice directly on the affected area 2 or 3 times daily for several days.
– Alternatively, you can take this herb in supplement form, daily.
– Always consult a doctor first, as it can increase the risk of bleeding if you take blood-thinning medications.
Echinacea increases the level of the properdine chemical in your body, which stimulates your immune system and helps shrink the ganglion cyst. A 2002 study published in The Journal of Alternative Medicine Review notes that use of echinacea increased production of properdine.
– Buy over-the-counter echinacea ointment and apply it topically to the cyst.
– Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until you get rid of it completely.
– You can also drink a cup of echinacea herbal tea once or twice daily for not more than a week.
Note: People who have an autoimmune disorder should not take this herb internally.